रविवार, 17 जनवरी 2010

Borrowed Intellect


Words of wisdom is one of the common columns in any newspaper. Would I not have started reading this, I would not have came to know how much popular these columns are? Nor even would I have know that how much people are following these one liners, not in terms of their action but in terms of their usage.


I was in one of the condolence ceremony to express our grief to the lessened. There I meet this old man. He was acquainted to us as one of the top management official of some Mid Cap Company. I thought it would be nice talking to him though the occasion was not like that. So with a little hesitation, I thought it would be good if I initiate to break the ice and involve him into the talk but he was faster than my thought and he himself had started. Perhaps because of the fact that as he came to the venue he had been introduced to us in a way that he is kind of alien among us or perhaps we are alien in his world. And here goes his talk wagon. He was into his late fifties and was talking to a group of people who were into the age group of 25 – 30. So he tried to pick the topic of talk in a way to keep us listening. It started with the career option and new gen carriers opted by young Indian to Share Market to Girl Friend to Savings to Marriages to Investment to Stock market. A kind of ring road type talks which started with Share Market and ended at the same. And not to forget, during these talk he did mentioned about his kids shifted to European Countries and earning in pounds and dollars.

We were sitting on lawn of the house where we were here to pay the condolence. But with his talk, almost all had forgotten the purpose of visit to this place.

But even this was not the thing which could be marked. This was just introduction to his non – stop talks. The real words of wisdom had yet to come. Now he started talking lot of one liners which we often read in newspapers or some junk mails which often being forwarded by those friends who think this is the best way of being in touch with their buddies. The more he was talking, the more he was using one liner the more it was giving a kind of headache to me. On the top of it, after every one liners, he was giving such a body language or geek smile like, “see you people should have to mention me every time you use these one liner” and that “I am sure you will need these one liner throughout your life if ever you want to look more intelligent”. It was almost intolerable to me as on every one liner, like others I had to give an expression as if I had received the biggest lesson of my life. Thanks to his wife who saved us by calling him for food.

After this incident, I literally have started observing talk of such people more critically. And to my surprise I found that all the middle aged middle management people talk in the same language using lot of one – liners.

But why do these people need one-liners to show their intellect? Why people don’t create their own? Are they really intellectual creatures or they just pretend to be one? Is it the only way to sound intellectual? Or is it a necessity for them to use more often these one – liners to show the world that they really deserve the place they are holding?

For sure, the world is full of borrowed intellectuals. And there is a big market of Quotation Books in India.

कोई टिप्पणी नहीं:

एक टिप्पणी भेजें